Commodore’s Notes July 2019
What a start to the week it has been! It is pointless to try to comprehend the mindset of the individual who decided to set loose 31 boats and leave them to their own fortune. What is very much worth noting is the coming together of our members to locate and return all of the boats safely. I can confirm that the local Police, Harwich Haven and the Marine Police are taking this very seriously and I will obviously keep you all informed of any developments.
Regatta – see the website for detailed information
On a much more positive note – we are all looking forward to the Regatta this weekend. There are some new initiatives and extras to try to involve the whole town – so;
- Start each morning at 7.00am with Yoga on the Beach
- Take part in paddle boarding, kayaking, dinghy sailing, wildlife and photography trips each day
- Call in for coffee and cake
- Sailing races start at 13.15 (Saturday) and 14.00 (Sunday)
- Evening spectacular starts at 19.00 – tickets available behind the bar £10 p p
- Fireworks at 22.00
- Sunday mud sports start 10.00 am
- Call in for coffee and cake!
- Children’s beach races start at 10.30 am
- Fire station will be open, the antiques fair will be on and we have Face Painting and Walk about Whiskers!
Committee Member Changes
On another positive note – I am very pleased to confirm that David Warner will be our new Clubhouse Manager.
Sadly, Phil Martin has decided to step down as Moorings Master but happily Brian Rogers is going to take over the role. Phil and Brian will go through a handover period.
I want to thank Phil very much for all of the work he has done as Moorings Master which continued to ensure that we successfully satisfied our inspections from Trinity House and that Harwich Haven and the Crown Estate have been happy with our management of our moorings.
Need a Crew?
Harvey Foster is 18 years old and helps teach sailing at his local Scout Group. He has Start Sailing levels 1 to 4, Better Sailing Level 4, Seamanship Skills, Powerboat levels 1-2 and RYA Competent Crew. He is keen to gain more experience. His number is 07763456771.
Dates for your Diary
- 27 July – Club Cruise to Frinton and Walton Sailing Club – contact Kelvin Howlett on 07581190859
- 28 July – Visit/lunch to Harwich Town Sailing Club – list is on the noticeboard
- 4 August – Visiting Clubs